As DLA Piper Hong Kong’s Office Managing Partner and Co-Chair for their Global Real Estate sector, it’s no surprise that Susheela Rivers is front and centre, advising on landmark developments throughout Asia and the UK. Here, the stylish, pentalingual mother of four, reveals her current wardrobe favourites, her personal style signifier and what she wears when channelling a boho chic vibe.
1) Describe your style in 3 words
Classic, personal and elegant.
2) What’s the most precious item in your wardrobe and why?
My 35cm, Hermès Birkin bag. I use it every day.
3) What’s your go to outfit?
A black, Victoria Beckham, 3/4 sleeve dress with a pencil skirt shape and full zip detail.
4) Favourite piece you bought recently and why?
An olive green, cashmere coat/wrap by Victoria Beckham. It’s an innovative, long scarf and coat combination.
Photo: The Outnet
5) What is the best fashion advice you have received?
The fit trumps the trend or the brand.
6) Who are your style icons?
I don’t have one!
7) What’s your personal style signifier
My self designed shoes. Shoes are a fantastic way to show one’s own style and personal flair. For me, I always design a pointed front as it elongates the feet and leg. I use faux snake skin with some personalised jewellery. In Hong Kong it’s affordable and can be made.
8) Less or more?
9) If you could have anyone’s wardrobe whose would it be and why?
I love my wardrobe as it’s from everywhere. It tells a story and reflects different periods in my life.
10) If you were an item of clothing what would you be?
Shoes. Always heels for me, as they complete the look and I love how they make me feel.
11) What is a must have clothing item everyone must own?
A well fitted, comfortable, black pencil skirt, a cashmere top and a fabulous coat.
12) Where do you love to shop?
I find gems everywhere and anywhere.
13) What will we never find in your wardrobe?
14) What’s your number one fashion rule?
“Dress badly and they remember the dress, dress impeccably and they remember the woman” — Coco Chanel
15) What is your dream project?
Running my own fashion house.
16) Dream collaborator?
I loved the black dress Hubert de Givenchy created for Audrey Hepburn to wear in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I also love the courageous, Christian Dior “New Look” created in 1947. But today it would have to be Victoria Beckham. She impresses me with the fit and choice of materials she uses.
Photo (from left): Paramount Pictures, Dior
17) Top 3 accounts to follow on social media
I don’t use social media, but my top workout apps are: Openfit, Alo Moves by Alo Yoga and Daily OM.
18) Favourite fashion apps?
The Outnet, Shopbop and Revolve.
19) Where were the last three places you travelled to and what are the can’t miss shops?
Every city has fantastic shops to explore, but my all time favourite is London. Selfridges has most brands I like and is pre-selected so the shopping is easy. The Fold on Cadogan Place has a great story and their clothes suit professional women. Sydney and Melbourne always have great local talent. One brand I adore is Camilla, for my boho chic side. I love their wonderful flowing silks, prints and the founder’s story. I wear their wide leg, front pocket trousers with a leather, hip belt.
Follow Susheela Rivers on LinkedIn