After entering the art world through internships at Christie’s and Gagosian, Yvonne Fong joined Simon Lee just as the gallery, which was founded in London in 2002, opened a Hong Kong space in 2012. Now overseeing the Hong Kong gallery, business in Asia, and working with artists including Turner nominee Angela Bulloch and Donna Huanca—who incorporates live models into the creation of her static paints and sculptures—she is focused on introducing the gallery’s global programmes and artists to a wider public.
Here, the gallery director who is known for her sleek style, blonde hair and red lips, talks to PAKT about her style icons, a favourite piece she recently purchased and why less is more.
1) Describe your style in 3 words
Low key, luxe.
2) What’s the most precious item in your wardrobe and why?
A Patek Phillip Nautilus watch that my father gave me for my 30th birthday—it marks the beginning of a new decade.
3) Favourite piece you bought recently and why?
Manolo Blahnik beige flat slides. Comfortable, classic and they will go with any summer outfit.
Photo: Manolo Blahnik
4) Less or more?
Less is more.
5) What is the best fashion advice you have received?
Better to arrive fashionably late than ugly!
6) What’s your go-to outfit?
Usually, it’s a white shirt and high waisted black pants or skirt. But I have been wearing Nike activewear for the last few months during #WFH and social distancing.
7) Who are your style icons?
Hailey Bieber, Liu Wen, Olivia Palermo and Julia Roberts.
8) Where do you love to shop?
9) What’s your personal style signifier?
A statement brooch on sweaters or jackets. I have a beautiful diamond and pearl brooch commissioned by my dad, which was the first gift from him to my mom, and she gave it to me.
10) If you could have anyone’s wardrobe whose would it be and why?
Caroline de Maigret. I adore her cool, chic Parisian style.
11) If you were an item of clothing what would you be?
A Max Mara cashmere coat—it is timeless and effortless.
12) What is a must-have clothing item everyone must own?
13) What will we never find in your wardrobe?
Jumpsuits. I never feel comfortable wearing them!
14) What’s your number one fashion rule?
“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” by Da Vinci. This rule doesn’t get old.
15) If a museum asked you to donate one item from your wardrobe that represented you what would it be?
An oversized, Saint Laurent leather jacket, for a touch of androgyny.
16) Dream collaborator?
Michelle Obama—I would love to work with her on fundraising projects!
Photo: Crown Publishing
17) Top 3 accounts to follow on social media
18) Where were the last three places you travelled to and what are the can’t miss shop?
Paris—Le Bon Marche Rive Gauche departure store has so much history and I can find everything I need in one go which is perfect when travelling on a tight schedule.
St Tropez—Chanel, the French Riviera maison carries the best styles for summer.
Kyoto—Sfera Shop where you can find traditional and contemporary Japanese interior accessories. The architecture of the store is absolutely beautiful too.
Follow Yvonne Fong on Instagram @insaniafong